realMyst: Masterpiece Edition
|The following article is written from an Out of Cavern (OOC) perspective. All fictional events should be considered fictional.|
|realMyst: Masterpiece Edition|
February 5th, 2014
While in point-and-click mode, one can see the original image of their location from Myst by pressing shift.
Ages and locations visited
realMyst: Masterpiece Edition was first announced by Rand Miller during an interview with the DMR on July 23rd, 2013.
On September 24th, 2013, as part of the celebrations for Myst's 20th anniversary, Cyan released three screenshots from the product.
On January 14th, 2014, Cyan announced that realMyst: Masterpiece Edition had "gone gold" and would be available on Steam shortly thereafter.
Cyan planned to release the game on February 4th, but ran into a "small issue." Nevertheless, some were able to buy it from the Mac store before it was removed. The game was officially released on Steam the day after.
Quoted from the Steam page:
- All the original Myst Ages plus bonus Rime Age
- Full Myst gameplay and interaction
- Dynamic environments – rippling water, falling rain, waving trees & grass
- Advanced graphic effects like bloom, blur, depth of field, etc.
- Day and night – watch sunsets and sunrises, or explore at night
- Flashlight – for exploring dark nights or dark corners
- Haunting Myst music score and dynamic 3D sounds
- Classic Point & Click navigation option – just like original Myst
- Free roam interface option – standard navigation controls
- Zip Mode in classic navigation – hold down to keep walking
- Auto quality option – checks your frame rate and auto-adjust your quality
- Interactive Guides – illustrates how to interact with objects
- Bring up original Myst images to compare and reminisce
- Bookmark feature to save & restore progress
- Auto-save to insure you pick up where you left off
- realMyst Hint Guide – get past that one puzzle that’s got you stumped
The icon for realMyst: Masterpiece Edition in the Mac App Store is actually a photograph of a fan-made linking book replica (that even has a touchscreen PC built-in, capable of running every game in the series and more).
RIUM+'s fan-made linking book (with a touchscreen PC inside that plays all the games in the series); http://www.riumplus.com/mystbook
realMyst: Masterpiece Edition's Mac App Store icon (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/realmyst-masterpiece-edition/id804096519?mt=12)