|The following article is written from an In-Cavern (IC) perspective. All fictional events should be considered real.|
Earth, in its current condition
before 0 DE (7657–7656 BCE)
Linking books to Age found in
Linking books in Age
Earth, known as D'ni (D'ni: D'nE, D'nee, meaning 'new start' or 'new beginning' (literally "new again")) to the D'ni, is an Age written by Ri'neref after he left the Ronay Guild of Writers, intended to be a new home for the Ronay, as Garternay's sun was dying. He managed to attract well over a thousand Ronay to join him, and in 0 DE (7657–7656 BCE) they collectively linked to the Age, settling in a cavern far below the surface of what is modern day New Mexico and becoming the D'ni civilization. The D'ni lived in this cavern until the Fall of D'ni occurred in 9400 DE (1744 CE).
Although the surface had been inhabited by humans since long before the D'ni arrived there, the D'ni did not try to make contact with them until over 9,000 years after the exodus; this contact indirectly led to the Fall, which occurred several years later.
"Oh, what a mess!"
This section is in serious need of improvement. Your help would be graciously appreciated.
Earth was formed about 4.6 billion years ago in the early Solar System. The Age's moon was formed around 4.51 billion years ago by a collision of a protoplanet called Theia with the Earth. Earth developed life around 4 billion years ago. Between 243 and 233.23 million years ago, in the Triassic period, dinosaurs appeared on the Age. About 65 million years ago, in the Cretaceous period, an asteroid hit the Earth in the present day Gulf of Mexico and caused an extinction-level event, destroying most non-avian dinosaur species. For uncertain reasons, several avian species survived the impact and evolved into modern bird species. In the Eocene period, mammals spread across the Earth, eventually giving rise to the human race, which eventually became the dominant life form on the planet. Between 7657 and 7656 BCE the D'ni arrived on Earth, through a Descriptive Book written by Ri'neref and built a city in a series of caverns three miles below the surface. In 1744 CE, Veovis and A'Gaeris brought about the Fall of D'ni, reducing their numbers to hundreds or perhaps several thousand. In the 20th century, two world wars occurs on the Age. The first World War was from 1914 to 1918 CE and the second World War was from 1939 to 1945 CE. Both world wars caused millions of deaths. In the present day, over 7.6 billion humans live on the Age, having extensively colonized the surface.
Roughly 71% of Earth's surface is covered by water, most of which is saline. The remainder of the surface is comprised of a number of large continents, in addition to many much smaller landmasses. Earth's landmasses are commonly grouped into seven continents:
- Africa comprises around 20% of Earth's land, and around 16% of the Age's current human population. The continent is sometimes grouped with Eurasia as Afro-Eurasia (in contrast to the Americas), due to the landmasses being linked and proximate. Africa is believed to be where humans first evolved.
- Antarctica comprises around 9% of Earth's land. It is situated over the Age's south pole, and is almost entirely frozen over with ice. As a result, there are no permanent human settlements on the continent, though there are a few semi-permanent settlements such as research stations.
- Asia comprises around 30% of Earth's land, and around 60% of its population. As Asia and Europe form a single landmass, they are sometimes grouped as Eurasia, and are both sometimes grouped with Africa as Afro-Eurasia. In the Myst novels, Asia is where the D'ni City is supposedly located (specifically the Middle East); this was done in order to hide its true location.
- Europe comprises around 7% of Earth's land, and 11% of its population. It is often grouped with Asia as Eurasia, and both are sometimes grouped with Africa as Afro-Eurasia. Anna's father grew up in Europe before emigrating to North America, though it is not known exactly where in Europe he was from.
- North America comprises around 17% of Earth's land and around 8% of its population. It is sometimes grouped with South America as the Americas. North America is where the US state of New Mexico is located, and hence is also where the D'ni City, the Cleft (and Caldera), the Lodge, and the Desert Canyon are located. Anna and Atrus were both born here on the surface, as were many notable people involved in D'ni's restoration. The video game company Cyan Inc. is also located in North America in the US state of Washington. Cyan create the Myst franchise, based on Katran's journals and what remains of the pre-Fall written records.
- Oceania is a large, mostly oceanic region containing many smaller islands, as well as a few larger landmasses, the largest of which is known as Australia. Oceania comprises around 6% of the Earth's total landmass, and 0.5% of its population.
- South America comprises 12% of Earth's land and 6% of its population. It is sometimes grouped with North America as the Americas.
Earth's climate and biosphere is highly diverse, with a wide range of biomes spread over its surface, serving host to a large variety of plant and animal life. Humans are a notable intelligent species native to the Age, and are Earth's only known native sapient species. Humans, throughout their history, have spread over Earth's surface, forming many settlements in the Age, including many large cities both that are physically much more expansive and that have much larger populations than the D'ni City did at the time of the Fall. The spread and development of humanity has had a significant mostly-negative impact on Earth's environment.
The Age's terrain is also varied, with some particularly mountainous regions (including volcanos), often located over tectonic fault lines, in addition to many flatter regions. The highest point on Earth's surface is located around 8.9 km above sea level, and the lowest point around 11 km below sea level. Though Earth has many smaller cave systems, the D'ni Cavern (the largest cavern in the D'ni City), as well as the other caverns in the D'ni City, located completely below the Age's surface, are unique in their depth, size (for their depth), habitability (for their depth), and former habitation.
Though the term "Earth" is generally used by humans to refer solely to the planet on which they live, the Age of Earth also contains many other celestial objects, including the Earth's moon, sometimes referred to as Luna, which is often visible in the Age's sky. The planetary system of which Earth is a part orbits a (white-colored) yellow giant star known as the Sun, and contains eight known planets including Earth, as well as a large number of minor planets (mostly asteroids). Earth is the only celestial object in the Age known to harbor life. Earth's Sun is located in the Orion Arm of the Milky Way Galaxy. Galaxy's of different types (e.g. the Milky Way Galaxy is a spiral galaxy) are available in infinite numbers in Earth's Universe.
The planet takes around 24 hours to rotate on its axis once (an Earth day), and completes an orbit around the Sun every 365.26 days (an Earth year). The current mean length of a tropical year on Earth is equivalent to the exact length of one D'ni hahr, implying that Ri'neref made sure that this was the case when writing the Age. Earth days, on the other hand, do not appear to match up to any D'ni time units.
- New Mexico
- The Star Fissures in Riven and Relto both have exit points around the Caldera and the Cleft, on Earth's surface. It is not known how or why this is the case.
|The following part of the section is written from an Out-of-Cavern (OOC) perspective. All fictional events should be considered fictional.|
- Owing to its status as the home of both humanity and the D'ni Civilization, Earth is the most-visited Age and the main Age in the entire franchise, appearing in every game and novel.
- Myst: The Book of Ti'ana
- Myst: The Book of Atrus
- Riven: The Sequel to Myst
- Myst: The Book of D'ni
- Myst III: Exile
- Myst IV: Revelation
- Uru: Ages Beyond Myst
- Uru: To D'ni
- Uru: The Path of the Shell
- Myst V: End of Ages
- Uru Live